Thursday, March 21, 2013

Baklava: A Friend Like Me


Today I made baklava, the most delicious and unique pastry ever created!  It is the real thing--authentic and quite an experience to savor!

It's made with phyllo dough, honey, butter, nuts (I use pecans not walnuts), sugar, and cinnamon.  Sometimes I add nutmeg.

It's a tradition in the Chaston family to have baklava at Christmas.  Not that everyone in the family likes baklava, but it just wouldn't be Christmas if there weren't baklava!  The Chaston family tradition of baklava runs much deeper but I will save that for another time.

In short friends and neighbors have grown accustomed to receiving a gift of homemade baklava when we sing carols at their houses on Christmas Eve or on Christmas Eve Eve (also known as Christmas Adam)!  Many send requests during the year for baklava if we happen to make it at times other than Christmas.  It's quite a hit!

But whenever I think of baklava and music, I remember a line from Disney's Aladdin in the song "A Friend Like Me."  It goes, "...how 'bout a little more baklava?"

No comments:

Post a Comment