Sunday, March 24, 2013

Asiago Bread: When It's Sleepy Time

Asiago Bread
Yesterday I made asiago bread for the first time!

I used to be afraid of making bread that had any yeast in it.  I just skipped over that section in the cookbook and went straight to "quick bread" recipes.

When I was seven, I helped my mom make French bread and I accidentally killed the yeast by making the water too hot.  My mom wasn't upset, but from then on I thought I could never make yeast breads...ever.

Fortunately, I've now made two kinds of yeast breads: focaccia (which I make all the time) and asiago bread!  In fact, yesterday I made both.  I used the oven timer for raising the focaccia dough and the microwave timer for raising the asiago bread dough!  It is important to keep the details straight when making yeast breads!

Ironically, the recipe for asiago bread is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.  I looked online for other recipes, but couldn't find one better.  I'm glad I stuck with the old stand-by because it came out great!

Let me just say that making bread is exhausting!  As satisfied as I was with my results, it's definitely faster to let a bakery do the work.  So in light of exhaustion, here's "When It's Sleepy Time Down South," an old jazz song sung by Louis Armstrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment