Sunday, January 13, 2013

What Would I Do Without a Smartphone?


I was thinking of all the ways I've used my smartphone today and not one of them includes actually using a phone for it's primary directive: making a phone call.

Clock app for an alarm.  No more large alarm clocks!  Definitely streamlines my nightstand.

Calculator app.  Remember when we had to look through the desk drawer to find the calculator you've held on to since beginning algebra?  Or maybe you actually had an adding machine; keeping those rolls of paper handy was maddening.  Or worse yet, you had to do the math yourself!

Clock app for a timer.  The timer on the phone is much more convenient than using the stove or microwave timer.  I can stay on the couch and turn it off.  Plus, inevitably someone heats up meatloaf and erases my microwave timer.

Dictionary app.  It is way easier to type the word in and get all the cross references than haul out the 10-pound Oxford or Webster Unabridged Dictionary and a thesaurus!  Besides, who has space for those anyway?

Camera app.  This does not have the highest resolution, but it is just right for those spontaneous moments...even if the pictures do sometimes end up looking like those fuzzy "ghosts-are-real" photographs.

Facebook app.  Just in case some earth-shattering happenings of my friends occurred, I can know about them even away from my computer.

Texting app.  The best part is most of my texts today were to people who were in adjacent rooms in the same apartment.  At least I didn't yell to the other rooms...of course, I could have just walked to the other rooms.

So it is pretty funny to think of how phones have evolved.  Remember when the earphone was cool...?

Though not directly related, my song "You've Got Your Memories" has the word "memories" in it, which is related to "remember."  So here it is!


1 comment:

  1. I left my phone at home today so didn't use it at all....I think I'll need to use the dictionary app...I don't have that one! Hilarious indeed!

    ReplyDelete