Saturday, July 27, 2013

Oatmeal Pancakes: I Can't Believe That...


Last night was quite the night at the Dubuque County Fair!  I got to throw T-shirts to the audience for Eagle 102 and Y105 before Safety Suit and Daughtry, respectively.  Most of my tosses only reached the Festival Area or Mosh Pit!  So it was good to be close to the stage to get a T-shirt.  Oh, and I did get hear "Over You" live!

After a late night out, a healthy breakfast is essential to reboot the system.  So I tried and adapted a new recipe, Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes.  They are an tasty and nourishing!

Last night really was very fun.  I am still a little bit in shock that I got to wear a media pass and go backstage!  I guess I could say I can't believe I got to do it!  I used today's song for the blog discussing I can't believe I'm going to law school, but it applies here, too, as a good "can't-believe-it" song.  So here's "I Can't Believe that You're in Love with Me" sung by Frank Sinatra.


HEALTHY OATMEAL PANCAKES
Adapted from a Hy-Vee recipe.


DRY INGREDIENTS:

¼ cup white flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup quick oats
1 tablespoon Splenda
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Dash of nutmeg

WET INGREDIENTS:

½ cup skim milk
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon canola oil

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Stir then set aside.

Wisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. 

Over medium heat, let skilled get hot enough to sizzle butter without burning the butter. 

Add wet to dry ingredients and stir together as little as possible.  If too thick to scoop out with a ¼-cup measuring cup, add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin the batter.

Scoop ¼ cup of batter onto hot skillet.  Turn over pancakes when bubbles stop appearing.  Do not let the first side get too browned.

Serve immediately or cool on a wire rack and freeze.  Once pancakes are frozen, you can put into single serving pint bags or in a quart bag.  Freezing keeps them from sticking together so they can be removed from the freezer one at a time. 

Toast the frozen pancakes on a low setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment