Sunday, May 26, 2013

Green Bean Casserole: God Bless the USA


Green Bean Casserole is my second favorite food for Thanksgiving, my most favorite is stuffing.  But recently, my green bean casseroles have turned out very soupy.

So today I went the extra, extra, extra mile.  I fully defrosted the green beans by draining them in a colander then patting them down with paper towels.  Voila!  Incredible, non-soupy green bean casserole!

Today's song connection is admittedly a stretch, but green bean casserole and musician Lee Greenwood do go together.  I love Lee Greenwood's song "God Bless the USA."  Tomorrow is Memorial Day and I don't think we can ever have too many patriotic songs!  I covered "God Bless the USA" on my album As American As Jazz: A Patriotic Celebration of the USA, but it's Lee Greenwood's version that I remember watching fireworks to on the Fourth of July as a kid.

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

2-16 oz. bags of frozen French cut green beans, thawed and drained
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups French fried onions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place the French cut green beans in a casserole dish.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, Worcestershire sauce, and mushroom soup until blended.  Pour over the green beans and mix.  Add 1 cup of French fried onions to the mixture and stir.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered.  Remove from oven and shake the remaining 1/2 cup of French fried onions on top of the beans.  Bake for another 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment