Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rolo Cookies: I Thought About You


The first time I had Rolo cookies I was astounded!  Who thought up this amazing cookie?  Who thought to put a caramel candy inside a rich chocolate dough and then cover it all with sugar?  This is definitely the devil's food cake of the cookie world.

In fact, I think often of these cookies.  And the worst part is I will go to make them and realize I don't have any Rolos.  I think I may start buying up bags of Rolos and freezing them.  That way I'll always have Rolos whenever I get the urge to make these cookies!

Since I think of these cookies often, here's "I Thought About You" sung by Frank Sinatra.


ROLO COOKIES

2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
45-50 Rolos, unwrapped (from 13-oz. pkg.)

DIRECTIONS
1. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.

2. In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.

3. Heat oven to 375°F. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 Rolo candy, covering completely.

4. In small bowl, place Sugar in the Raw. Roll balls of dough in sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

5. Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 4-5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets when they are set enough to not fall apart in the middle where the caramel in the Rolo is still soft.

6. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment