Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Caramel Syrup: The Most!


What happens when you're at home, you're making waffles or French toast, then you go to the pantry and find there's not a drop of syrup in the house? You improvise and make you're own!

That's how this syrup was born. I looked up a few different kinds of syrup and combined varying amounts of some ingredients then added a couple of ingredients of my own, too.

I don't know if I'll ever buy syrup again! This syrup is the most delicious syrup I have ever eaten!

Continuing the Valentine-themed jazz songs, I came across a forgotten standard--at least, I'd forgotten about it until recently.

Of course, it's sung by Frank Sinatra and talks about the spousal relationship, with some contextual reference to mornings--which is why this delectable syrup reminded me of this song.

So check out "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" today and savor some marvelous syrup on your waffles tomorrow morning.


CARAMEL SYRUP FOR WAFFLES

1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Dash salt
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
  2. Stir constantly over medium heat. Allow to boil for one minute.
  3. Remove from burner.
  4. Allow to cool slightly if you want the syrup to be thicker. Once it is refrigerated in a sealable, microwaveable container, it will become very thick.
  5. To use at a future time, microwave the syrup on half power for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again on half power for 30 seconds if not warm enough initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment