Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie: Lonely Days?

Today was the first day it snowed! I loved it so much I got out my Christmas decorations and listened to Christmas music. Yes, I know it's only November 3, but I love Christmas all-year long.

I even had pumpkin chiffon pie to celebrate the occasion! This pie is so light and fluffy it has to have "chiffon" in the title!

I listened to Christmas music today and ate a piece of my favorite pie.  Check out one of my new favorite Christmas songs. It's not jazz, it's just fun. Check out "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day" sung by Brenda Lee.


PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE
1 baked pie crust
1 T. unflavored gelatin       
¼ cup cold water                
½ cup canned milk             
½ cup brown sugar            
¼ teaspoon salt                              
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg                                  
½ teaspoon ginger                         
3 egg yolks
¾ cup canned pumpkin
3 egg whites
¼ cup granulated sugar
  1. Combine gelatin and cold water.  Set aside.
  2. In saucepan, combine canned milk, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and egg yolks (setting egg whites aside in a large bowl.)  Wisk ingredients in saucepan together.
  3. Stirring constantly over medium heat, bring to a consistent boil.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Add pumpkin and soaked gelatin.  Stir together with a spoon.
  6. Beat egg whites until stiff.  Add granulated sugar gradually while whipping. 
  7. Add pumpkin mixture to whipped egg whites.  Beat with mixer until smooth and consistent.
  8. Pour into a baked and cooled pie crust. 
  9. Refrigerate for two hours.  Always refrigerate remaining pieces of pie after serving one or more portions since this recipe contains raw egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment