Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Joys of Being an Indie Artist, Shrink Wrap Included


I have a "To Do" list that stays the same length, no matter how many things I cross off. I guess that's part of being an Indie Artist. I get one thing done and in the process find another thing to put on the list.

I've been trying to replenish my stock of CDs. The CDs are labeled and have data, the inserts are printed and in the jewel cases. Last step? Shrink wrap!

Done.

Next, check and update all my social networking sites. This got way easier when I started using Hootsuite. I highly recommend it! I can even schedule a few posts to go up when I'm away from the computer.

Done.

Read books. I researched and bought a slew of new and used books on entertainment law, music publishing, rights management, artist management, contracts, music business, social networking, and anything else having to do with music production. Read from The Artist's Guide to Success in the Music Business by Loren Weisman, one of the many for an hour today.

Done. Learned more techniques for easy gigging, more functional practices and maximized recording sessions. Sweet!

Mixing. My brother and I are mixing our next CD Jazzy Christmas To You II! Getting back into the mixing groove after school started was a bit rough, but now we're really moving!

Done. Will do more mixing tomorrow.

Set up practices and recording times with band members. Thanks to technology, this is pretty easy.

Done.

All through that process, I found out I need to get more inserts printed, need to keep up with my social networking, need to read more books, need to research some new music sites, need to check on subscriptions, need to mix more songs, and get all the charts ready for practicing and recording.

Not Done. But that's okay. I love being an Indie Artist!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive! I have to admit, I only recently found out that "Indie" stood for independent and not Indian music. I kept wondering how there could be so many musicians from India. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I recently met someone who thought "Indie" meant the music was from the state Indiana and he couldn't figure out how so many musicians could be from Indiana!

      Delete